Google’s Work Insights adoption and collaboration insights tool is now generally available for G Suite Enterprise customers. You can use Work Insights to quickly understand the status and impact of your G Suite deployment, surfacing organizational insights around adoption, work patterns, and collaboration across G Suite apps.
Work Insights was previously available in beta. For more details about the Work Insights tool, see Google’s beta announcement or their Help Center. Since the beta, they’ve added the ability to quickly surface usage of legacy non-G Suite applications within an organization, as well as added more powerful filtering capabilities via groups filtering. See below for more details.
Admins only. Work Insights is accessible to super admins and delegated admins. See how to grant access to Work Insights.
Why you’d use it
Work Insights can bring you executive-level insights into how G Suite is increasing collaboration and improving workplace culture at your organization. You can view the Work Insights dashboard and get insights into:
- Adoption – which teams are adopting G Suite and which apps they use most frequently.
- Work patterns – which apps teams are spending time in and how much time they’re spending in meetings.
- Collaboration – how teams are working together through meetings, file sharing, and document interactions.
- Usage of non-G Suite applications – if there are legacy licenses that no longer need to be renewed as users transition to G Suite.
Note that at the organizational level, team insights will only be shown for teams of 10 people or more. For more details about these insights and how you might use Work Insights.
How to get started
New: Get insights into usage of non-G Suite applications
Work Insights will now quickly surface data around the usage of legacy non-G Suite applications within an organization. This includes the use of the following:
- Microsoft Word documents
- Microsoft Word macro files
- Microsoft Excel spreadsheets
- Microsoft Excel macro files
- Microsoft PowerPoint presentations
- Microsoft PowerPoint macro files
Seeing how these applications are used can help organizations identify opportunities where remaining legacy licenses no longer need to be renewed as users transition to G Suite.
|See usage of non-G Suite apps in Work Insights
New: Filter charts by groups
In the beta, you could filter by organizational units and teams to help compare across your organization. Now you can also filter by groups. Administrators can whitelist specific groups to be included as filters for Work Insights.
Groups that are whitelisted will appear in the filtering feature of Work Insights. Users are able to focus on specific groups and unlock the power of Work Insights within subsections of their organization.
This provides an organization with the power to drill deeper into the collaboration data by applying custom groups as a filtering criteria.
|Admins can whitelist specific groups to compare in Work Insights
|Once groups are whitelisted, you can filter by those groups in Work Insights
Group filtering provides new levels of detail and aids in better understanding how areas of a company are leveraging the collaborative features of G Suite.
G Suite editions
- Available to G Suite Enterprise and G Suite Enterprise for Education
- Not available to G Suite Basic, G Suite Business, G Suite for Education, and G Suite for Nonprofits
On/off by default?
- This feature will be ON by default.