Google is launching several new features and tools that will help you create more compelling and stylized reports in Sheets:
- Multi-Selecting Objects
- Enhanced Pivot Table Insertion
- Copy and paste images into Sheets
- Formula backed charts inserted from Answers
Why you’d use it
They hope these tools will help you make more engaging and informative reports by making it easier and faster to format charts, pivot tables, images, and more.
How to get started
- Admins: No action required.
- End users: See below for how to use each new feature in Sheets.
- You can use guides to help you align, size, and position various objects within your sheets. Guides are also helpful in making sure multiple objects within the same sheet are in proportion to one another.
- To select multiple charts, drawings, and images to move, resize, or delete in bulk, hold down the Control or Shift key and select.
Enhanced pivot table insertion
- When adding a new pivot table, you’ll now have the option to either place it in a new sheet or in a custom location on an existing sheet.
- To create a new pivot table, go to Data > Pivot Table and select a data range.
- In the dialogue box, under Insert to, select New sheet or Existing sheet, and click Create. Note that if you select existing sheet, you’ll have to select a specific cell location for the pivot table.
Copy and paste images into Sheets
- Recently, Google made it easier to add images to your spreadsheet by inserting images into cells. Now, you can copy images from other websites and paste them directly into your sheet.
- Simply right click on an image and hit copy, then in Sheets right click and hit Paste to insert the image over the grid.
Formula backed charts inserted from Answers
- Now, when you use Sheets Explore to create charts, the charts you insert from the Q&A feature (Answers) will be backed by formulas. This means that charts will automatically update if the underlying data changes, ensuring you always have a fresh chart with the latest information.
To learn more about charts and graphs in Sheets, see here.
To learn about adding and editing a chart or graph, see here.
To learn about adding an image to a spreadsheet, see here.
To learn about creating and using a pivot table in Sheets, see here.
To learn about editing and formatting a spreadsheet, see here.
G Suite editions
- Available to all G Suite editions.
On/off by default?
- These features will be ON by default.