- 1 Here’s how teachers can override the YouTube block and approve specific videos for their students:
- 2 How can teachers approve an entire YouTube Channel?
- 3 How to enable YouTube restrictions in your Google Admin console
YouTube – the teachers’ two-edged sword. As many teachers would attest, YouTube is both a convenient education aid and a powerful distraction for students in the classroom. Given the fact that YouTube is littered with inappropriate content, many school districts have reacted by blocking the platform all-together. But what’s a teacher to do if he/she needed to allow their students access to certain YouTube videos and channels for the sake of education? Thankfully, teachers (with the appropriate G Suite authority) can approve specific YouTube videos for their students.
Here’s how teachers can override the YouTube block and approve specific videos for their students:
- Sign into your G Suite for education account.
- Go to YouTube.
- Find the video you wish to allow your students to view.
- You should see a blue bar under the video that offers the option of approving the video. Click on ‘Approve’.
- If you wish to remove an approved video, simply click ‘Remove’ in the blue bar which can be seen under the approved YouTube video.
Congratulations! Now your selected YouTube video is viewable to all students in your OU.
‘Approved videos’ can only be accessed when your students sign into their school-issued accounts and nowhere else.
How can teachers approve an entire YouTube Channel?
All you need to do is click on the channel images (as seen in the screenshot below) then click on the “Approve” button which can be seen at the top of the channel.
How to enable YouTube restrictions in your Google Admin console
- Open apps in the Google admin console.
- Select ‘Additional Google Services’.
- Find ‘YouTube’ and click on it.
- Click on ‘setup’ in Content Settings.
- Click on the pencil in the ‘setup’ section.
- Check the box that says ‘Signed in users in your organization can only watch restricted and approved videos.
- Click ‘Save’.
- Now click ‘YouTube permissions settings’ in the ‘Setup’ section.
- Choose which OU you want to set permissions for and save.
Viewing the approved videos list in the G Suite admin console
A G Suite admin can see who approved what YouTube videos and Youtube channels in their Admin console. Simply access the list in the Admin Console via this link https://admin.google.com/ytapprovals/whitelist.
Click on the X to unapprove a video.
Voila! Now you know how to approve blocked YouTube videos for your students and re-block videos too when needed.