To silently download or view files in your G Suite, do the following:
- In Drive Audit, search for the files you wish to view or download the contents of. You can use the ‘Apply custom filter’ button to search and find the specific files across your domain’s Drive.
- Here, I have carried out an arbitrary search for files owned by Marketing OU members. To do this I changed the type of search to a User/Group/OU search type. I used the ‘Add Rule’ button to combine multiple search operators. I only want to return file type which are Docs and which have been updated after June 1st, 2018.
Once you’re happy with your search criteria click on ‘Apply’ or if you wish to use this filter later on, save it by clicking on ‘Apply & Save’.
- Now click on the tick icon called ‘Toggle selectable’, this will allow you to select any file/folder. To select a file click on the checkbox on the left-hand side of the file name. You can select all files or individually select multiple files.
- Once the files you want to view or download are selected, click on the ‘Files operation’ button next to the ‘Toggle selectable’ icon. In the drop down menu you will see the option ‘Access permissions granted’ (for viewing/downloading file contents). Click on this option.
- Now we have to send a fresh request to our security officer, Click on the tab called ‘New request’. Select an a sufficient amount of time to have access to the files you selected. You also have an optional area to type a short message to your security officer. Once you are satisfied click on ‘Send request’.
- The following email will be sent to your security officer.
The security officer can click on the link in the email and they’ll be taken to the approval area in GAT+. In the Grants section, the security officer can see exactly which files he is giving access to before approving.
The Access Log keeps track of all the actions the super admins and security officers are taking.
- The requestor/Super admin can now return to Drive audit, click on ‘File Operation’ and select ‘Access permissions granted’ and under the ‘Current requests’ tab select the approved request.
- In the Actions column, click on the drop-down menu to see the options to download or Show file. When Show file is pressed you will gain silent access into that file.